It seems that just when everything is going smoothly, you catch wind of a new competitor moving in on your territory. While this big change can make your head spin, I have a few tips on how to stay on top of your game!
- Snoop! Find out everything you can about the “new guys on the block.” Who are they? What do they offer? Do they have a target demographic that is going to affect you? Knowing this information will give you a leg up when preparing for their opening.
- Dig Deeper! You will need to evaluate your current digital footprint. Are you running Facebook/Google ads? Digital advertising helps bring new eyes to your facility, which in turn brings in new customers and brings current customers back in. Does your website show off your facility and what you’re passionate about? Small improvements can make a big difference. Search Engine Optimization is a big opportunity for local businesses; ask us how to step up your SEO game so you show up in popular search engines, giving you a leg up on the competition. And once you’ve brought people in, don’t forget to listen to what they’re saying. Do you have positive feedback on Facebook and Google? Responding to reviews is HUGE for your online presence. It shows customers that you’re in touch with the community and you care about their feedback—something they might not get if they go to the new business down the road.
- Keep Your Eyes Open! Pay special attention to your current customers. Now we know you aren’t made of money, but offering specials and events leading up to your competition’s grand opening will keep your customers excited about YOU, which in turn should keep them coming back. After all, you are the OG.
- Face Lift! Take a look at your facility, your business cards, your employee uniforms, your website, and your social media presence to see if there’s something you can do to freshen up your look! People can get distracted by new and shiny; even just revamping your website can make all the difference. If a website redesign isn’t in your budget, look for little opportunities that can change the way your customers view your facility.
- Step it Up! By now you should know the opening date of the new guys. Two months out from their grand opening, you should be planning an event! You don’t want to host this event on the same day as their opening, but fairly close to it. If you do host on the same day, you run the risk of working hard for no payoff. You can’t deny that people are probably excited about the new place. That doesn’t mean they don’t still love you, so remind them why they picked you! At this point, it would be beneficial to increase your ad budget, add a few extra social media posts to promote your big night, and get the word out to as many people as possible that you’re not going anywhere.
- Motivate! New competition isn’t just stressful for you. During this time, be there for your employees. Reassure them that they’re valuable, doing a great job, and you love having them as a part of your team. This will help the keep overall “vibe” of your establishment fun and welcoming.
- Keep Your Head Up! My friend, this too shall pass, and your TrustWorkz team will be there for you every step of the way. You’ve done a great job, and you know your business, your customers, and your community better than anyone. We can work together to ensure you keep customers walking through your doors, booking parties, and having a blast!
Do you need help getting ahead of the competition? The TrustWorkz team are pros at competitor research. We would be more than happy to help you find a solution that fits your budget. Contacts us to get started!